Breaking the spaceĀ 

We were given the task ‘Breaking the Space’ to help us begin to develop a concept for our speculative design project on Hamlet.

We had to bring in found materials or objects and place them in our Nottingham Playhouse model box considering themes relating to Hamlet.

I found some cogs in a magazine, cut them out and stuck them to some card to make them sturdier. I liked the idea of cogs as machines move and turn just as the cogs in the mind do. 


Hamlet and Ophelia both talk of madness and betrayal. I hung up the cogs in my model box and started to play around with a hierarchy idea so that when one cog was on stage the others couldn’t be reflecting the society in Hamlet. 


This idea was only a starting point to fulfill the requirements of the task but it then became the foundations of my design.

I like that circles can represent strength, a bond, the family unit. What happens when the circle is broken, damaged? How strong was the material in the first place? 

Do the circles represent different characters? What happens when they interlink (incest, betrayal) 

I then decided to make my own rings using wire, twisting it wrong circular objects to explore and develop my idea further with a more malleable material than the magazine clippings.


I played around with different sizes and used a mixture of silver and green wire because I liked the hints of colour (representing nature perhaps) 

This task has really helped me to establish a minimalist, symbolic concept that I can now develop.

Scenic Arts

I was excited about scenic arts week because I worked at a scenic arts and construction company for 6 months last year and so I was excited to pick up a paint brush again!

Our project was ‘Urban Decay’. We had to scale up a 1:25 image of a graffitied wall onto a 6×3 metre canvas as well as making a piece of brick wall. We primed the two canvases white and then split into two groups and within that group we had a section to scale up. I liked my section because it was a mixture of brickwork/simple colours at the top and bold, fun graffitied letters at the bottom.

I used my scale ruler and tape measure to scale up my section, marking out with pencil and charcoal firstly then a brown painted outline. I really enjoyed building up the ‘sup’ and ‘noke’ lettering and then distressing them with paint marks and sandpaper to give them a graffitied feel.

It was challenging working alongside so many people, not only because of liIMG_5545mited space but because we had to work as a team to carefully match up colours and lines from section to section. I think at first everyone began the project working aloneĀ but gradually throughout the week we realised the importance of collaborating to make the canvas work as a whole.

To create the brick walls we split pieces of MDF in half using scrapers and Stanley knifIMG_5530es then placed them on a board to create a brick pattern. After sticking these down we covered the board in idenden to fill in gaps and create interesting wall texture or mortar lines and then primed it black. We then used rollers to paint the walls in varying browns and oranges (a mix of burnt sienna, raw umber etc.). I enjoyed creating beige mortar lines and detailing areas to distress and suggest they had been re-pointed.

IMG_5539

Here is our final presentation at the end of the week. We drilled all of the separate brick walls together to appear as one. The canvas on the left is my groups and I was really happy with the results.